Comments

1. avatar says

Dear respected sir,

This lecture is to continued right.. I mean regarding chapter 3. Can I know where I can find the lecture of you teaching
    > statutory interpretation presumptions
    > aids to interpretations
    > delegated legislation

Thank YOU VERY MUCH.

you are lectures are ACTUALLY TEACHING me what law is. Thank you :)

• Profile photo of MikeLittle says

Thanks for your complimentary comments :-)

Now the bad news! If the lecture is not on the site, then it doesn’t exist?

None of the three topics that you have identified is a major area and should be easily picked up from a reputable study text

Apologies for not being more helpful :-(

2. Profile photo of suspectzer0 says

Respected Sir,
    It would be my first post on OT. There is something i wanted to ask you before i could carry on with the lectures and notes. My question is basically i am going to sit for December 2013 F4 examinations(ENG) . I wanted to know as these lectures are recorded somewhere around 2011 can they be used as a solo source if i am preparing for these upcoming examination (off course the videos and the notes i am talking about) ? I have a little over one month remaining until the exam so please reply fast!
    Thank you!

No – it is ESSENTIAL that you get a revision kit of past exam questions and answers and work through those. The course notes and videos are a pretty solid basis but you must get stuck into a revision kit.

And keep posting whenever you feel the need

• Profile photo of suspectzer0 says

Respected Sir,
        I now have some other queries. First of all i wanted to ask isn’t past papers=kit? I downloaded the past papers and their answers and going through them. The only problem i face is sorting out the questions as i finish each chapter. Secondly, the Purposive Rule as defined in the Kaplan book (2013) has a reference of Sevenoaks RDC case law which in your course notes comes under the Mischief rule. Thirdly, The Book doesn’t include Nosciture a sociis/ In pari materia. I just wanted to know that were these laws still included in the answers or is it ok to go with the rules stated in the latest book. Standing by!
        Thank you!

Revision Kit contains many but not all of the past papers – so downloading past papers is certainly adequate.

In my view, the Mischief Rule can be interpreted as part of the Purposive approach / rule

Similarly Noscitur and In pari materia I seem to remember having read that they too are sub-elements of the Purposive Approach

3. Profile photo of Chris says

Hi Mike,

i am new to this and am i am listening/watching your webinars. Could you just confirm for the Cases print out what we should be putting in the Area of Law. Is this where the law is either Civil or Criminal? And what does the principle mean? Probably a very simply answer and i’ve probably go my knickers in a twist but if you could help me to understand it will benefit me going forward.

Many thanks, Chris.

I think it depends on the way you learn and how you intend to use the Cases Sheet. Personally I find it is better tostate in the ‘Area of Law’ column not only if it is civil or criminal, but also what area of the law. I then use the ‘Principle’ column to give myself enough detail to make sure I remember the case.

For example;

CASE NAME AREA OF LAW PRINCIPLE
      Whitely v Chappell Statutory Interpretation Golden Rule used. Son murders parents over £10, Literal
      Rule would result in him inheriting, clearly absurd.

This is admittedly quite a simple case, but that is enough (for me) to apply it in an exam question. I also personally find it does help if I write some details of the case, simply as it helps me to remember what happened. Then even if I forget exactly what point it is trying to make, I can often figure it out.

That is just how I do it, I would do it whatever way works for you. I should also make it clear that i am NOT a tutor, but did study law at university, and I found that this way helped me the best.

Brilliant lectures, the lecturer is very personable, and, for me, the stories do make it! I sincerely wish my law lecturers made as much effort to make the material memorable!

Leave a Reply