Comments

We don’t design our lecture notes round the BPP book – we design them round the syllabus :-)

The examiner calls it ‘statistical techniques’ in the syllabus, and they are all covered in Chapters 17, 18 and 19 of our Course Notes.

Please help me with Production budgeting. If budgeted sales (aka Sales requirements derived from market demand) equals 4000 units; Opening Inventories equal 950; Closing inventories equal 1000. Why is the Production requirement = Sales requirement + Increase in finished goods inventory? (Calculating to 4050 = 4000 + 50 where 4050 is the Production requirement) I don’t understand how production requirement relates to opne and closing inventories

But where do you think that the inventories come from? We have to produce them.
        If we did not keep inventories then we would need to produce 4000. Here we do keep inventory and we want to increase it by 50 and so we need to produce an additional 50.

I understand that we need to produce them. I don’t understand why we use closing and opening inventories’ difference as the amount we want to increase/decrease it with. Why not use a % of previous sales for example?

There are no rules as to how a company decides on the level of inventory that it wants – there are many factors that they might consider. They might look at past demand, although more sensibly they would look at expected future demand. In exams you cannot be expected to decide yourself – you will be told how they intend to change the inventory and you follow the instructions.

1. Avatar of accakeisha says

OMG!!!i have been so low on finance to enroll with a class so that i can get some hands on tutoring……….i was afraid that i would not be able to pass using only my textbook ..then God gave me the ultimate gift(OT) and my my my..it is doing wonders…..OT MAKES THE DEAF HEAR; THE BLIND SEE AND THE DOPE SMART…LOL. thx OT!!!sorry for the long post!!!