- This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by John Moffat.
June 2, 2019 at 5:59 am #518317raymo
- Topics: 1
- Replies: 0
The paper Division of Edu-Tech, Inc., produces photographic paper that can be sold externally or internally to Edu-Tech’s School Photography Division. Sales and cost data per package of photographic paper follows:
Unit selling price $3.95
Unit variable product cost $2.25
Unit product fixed cost* $1.20
Practical capacity 500,000 units (packages)
During the coming year, the Paper Division expects to sell 350,000 packages of photographic paper. The School Photography Division currently plans to buy 150,000 packages of this paper on the outside market for $3.95 each. Penelope Cruise, manager of the Paper Division, has approached Tom Cruz, manager of the School Photography Division, and offered to sell the 150,000 packages of paper for $3.75 each. Penelope explained to Tom that she can avoid selling costs of $0.40 per package and she would split the savings by offering a $0.20 discount on the usual price.
1. (i)What is the minimum transfer price the Paper Division would be willing to accept?
(ii)What is the maximum transfer price that the School of Photography Division would be willing to pay?
(iii) Should an internal transfer take place?
(iv)What would be the benefit (or loss) to the firm as a whole if the internal transfer takes place? (6 marks)
2. Suppose Tom knows that the Paper Division has idle capacity. Do you think that he would agree to the transfer price of $3.75? Suppose he counters with an offer to pay $3.20. If you were Penelope, would you be interested in this price? Explain with supporting computations. (4 marks)
3. Suppose that Edu-Tech, Inc.’s policy is that all internal transfers take place at full manufacturing cost.
(i) What would the transfer price be?
(ii)Would the transfer take place? (5 marks)June 2, 2019 at 11:18 am #518358John MoffatKeymaster
- Topics: 57
- Replies: 51264
Firstly, transfer pricing is not in the syllabus for Paper MA (it is not examined until Paper PM).
Secondly, there is no point anyway in simply typing out a full question and expecting a full solution. You must have an answer in the same book in which you found the question and so you should ask about whatever it is in the answer that you are not clear about – then I will explain. (Unless of course you were given this as a test question, in which case we certainly do not do your homework for you 🙂 )
Thirdly, if you are taking Paper PM (and not Paper MA), then transfer pricing is explained in full in the free PM lectures. The lectures are a complete free course for Paper PM and cover everything needed to be able to pass the exam well.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.