- This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by John Moffat.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Instant Poll - Read and post comments:
Specially for OpenTuition students: 20% off BPP Books for ACCA & CIMA exams – Get your BPP Discount Code >>
Accruals & Prepayments
Masha and the Bear Inc. had several expenses during 2018. Some of them were the below:
Expense Account US$
It is now 15 February, and the accountant has to make some final entries before the
financial records of 2018 are closed. She noted the below:
1. The audit of 2018 will start in the beginning of March. For the past two years the
audit fee has been the same and it is expected to be the same for 2018 also. This has
amounted to $5,000.
2. Electricity paid in 2018 did not include December 2018 (it was paid in January 2019)
and the portion for this month was $500.
3. The water expense paid in January 2019 included also December 2018 which
amounted to $300.
4. During the Christmas holidays, an employee requested an advance against his salary,
i.e. to receive half of January 2019 salary in December. This amount was $1,500.
a. Explain what are accruals and give an example. (5 marks)
b. Explain what are prepayments and give an example. (5 marks)
c. Prepare the below accounts (taking also into account the notes) for 2018
indicating the amounts that should be reported in the Profit and Loss account, and
Balance Sheet Account at the end of the year. You are required to present also
extracts of the Profit and Loss account, and Balance Sheet Account for 2018.
? Audit Fees
We do not provide full answers to full questions.
You must have an answer in the same book in which you found the question, so ask about whatever it is in the answer that you are not clear about and then I will explain.
Everything needed to be able to answer this question is explained in my free lectures (although obviously you can not be asked a question in this format in the Paper FA exam).