- June 7, 2020 at 12:02 pm
I am due to do the AFM CBE exam in Sep’20 and have started to use the test module on the ACCA website and wondered what other peoples thoughts are on its uses and functionality.
I have heard the Mar’20 Exam was a bit of a mess but I wonder was that down to the exam or the use of the CBE functionality itself.
My view after using this Practice tool for the first time:
1) On Q1 Mar/Jun’19 up to 9 screens to navigate between Exhibits, Requirements, Formulae/Help, Excel and Word.
For me this is not easy to manage and even if you take each exhibit at a time you may miss the elements of the exam where they want you to link your solutions to details from other exhibits.
2) The Excel tool itself I have found extremely basic and many tools that we all probably use in our work excel do not exist, Issues I found:
– Can’t Copy/Paste Cells as the formula doesn’t change from the previous cell to where you want it to go
– Similarly you cant copy/paste a group of cells containing formula’s as the spreadsheet is not intuitive so doesn’t move the formula to the cells you are moving it to so you have to be very concise with the location your workings and tables.
– If you use a formula on a formula the answer does not come out accurately and for example of you were doing a NPV cal as you do in Q1 Mar/Jun’19 you would not get the negative $6m per the solution and may be a point lost because of it?
– You cant use a keyboard to enter $ or € e.t.c you have to right click/format cells/Currency/Choose from drop down list to get the CCY you want. way to time consuming in an exam that is already way to time pressured as it is so making it harder to locate basic currency like this is poor.
The above are just a few of the Issues I am facing already and that was only my first attempt at using it.
Way more practice required just to find the most efficient way of navigating the whole exam and using what I feel is a sub standard excel tool thrown together.
It feels like whoever created or tested the excel tool doesn’t use it in real life.
If there are people out there who done the Mar’20 CBE for AFM or any other option level exam I would like to hear your thoughts on the navigation of it and possible approach to attempting the questions?
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.