This lecture is applicable for Paper F7 but is also a revision lecture for Paper P2
Group Accounts – Comprehensive example 1
When Ausra bought 75% of the Danute 50c equity shares of 31 March, 2011, the value of the Ausra $1 equity shares was $4.30 and the Danute shares had a market value of $1.30.
The terms of the acquisition were a combination of elements:
– for every 3 shares acquired Ausra issued 1 new share
– a payment of $1.21 for each 2 shares acquired payable on 1 April 2013
– a payment of $0.60 per share acquired immediately
The Ausra cost of capital is 10% per annum
Only the cash payment on 31 March 2011 has so far been recorded
On 31 October 2011, the respective Statements of Financial Position were:
1. At the date of acquisition, some of Danute’s inventory had a fair value $12,000 in excess of its carrying value. All of this inventory had been sold before the year end.
2. On 31 July 2011, Danute had sold an item of property, plant and equipment to Ausra realising a profit on sale of $36,000. Ausra was depreciating this item over its remaining useful life of 4 years. It is group policy to charge a full year’s depreciation in the year of purchase, and none in the year of sale.
3. On 1 October, 2011 Ausra had despatched goods to Danute at a transfer value of $26,000. Ausra sells goods at a margin of 30%. Danute had sold a quarter of these goods by the Statement of Financial Position date.
4. The current accounts did not reconcile at the year end because Danute had sent a payment of $6,500 to Ausra, but Ausra only received it on 2 November 2011. Before any necessary adjustment, the intra group balance in Danute’s records showed an amount owing to Ausra of $11,500.
5. Goodwill is impaired by 25%.
6. Profits for the two companies for the year to 31 October, 2011 (before any adjustments necessary to be made) were respectively $70,000 and $60,000
7. Both entities have declared but not yet accounted for a dividend per share of 10c (Ausra) and 3c (Danute).
8. The directors valued the nci investment on a fair value basis using the market value of the Danute shares as a fair measure.
Prepare a Consolidated Statement of Financial Position for the Ausra Group as at 31 October 2011.