Comments

1. avatar says

hi sir john.. i need your help.
    product A target selling price per unit is $10
    target profit is 25% on cost
    current cost $8.40 per unit
    what is the target cost gap for product A???
    pls answer me…. many thanks

2. avatar says

Mr.Moffat, I really enjoyed this lecture to well. My question is Target Costs are planned estimated costs before production schedule. What will happen if the cost input escalate all of a sudden after the production commences? Secondly, Can Target Costing combat under hyperinflationary economic conditions to sustain pricing?

Thank you!!!

• Profile photo of John Moffat says

Firstly, target costs are not planned estimated costs. The target cost is the cost that has to be achieved in order to get the required level of profitability. The company will compare this with the estimated costs – if the target cost is lower than the estimated cost, then they will look for ways of reducing the estimate actual cost.

Target costing is not intended (and can not) combat high levels of inflation.
      Obviously estimated levels of inflation will be taken into account is determining the target cost (and in estimating the likely actual cost), but target costing itself cannot remove the risk that always exists.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the lecture :-)

3. avatar says

Great lecture! Sir you really make our learning Interesting… I have a question that is bothering me. What if the estimate of actual cost of production turns out of to be incorrect. Afterall, it is an estimate, it would turn out to be a bad decision if the actual cost turned out to be more than what we estimated.? What would we do in that situation.? As you said we work out target cost before actually making products, if we started producing how do you see the effect of wrong estimate in the first place ?. Cheers

• Profile photo of John Moffat says

Thank you :-)

All of costing is based on estimations and there is always the risk that the estimates are wrong.

The whole point of target costing is that the cost is driven by the selling price (and not the other way round as is traditionally the case).

Obviously it is important that if they do go ahead that they make sure the control the costs. If the costs get too high then they would have to consider whether it was possible to increase the selling price or whether to accept a reduced profit, or even whether they should cease production.

4. avatar says

Hi Sir, what is the difference between the studio recorded lecture and the normal one apart from the normal one being longer in time. Which one should we follow or should we watch both the live and the studio one to get a better understanding?

Thank you :)

Leave a Reply